"World of Color" Debuts, Part of Disneyland Expansion

Posted Jun 14th 2010 02:23 PMUpdated Jun 14th 2010 04:34 PM

Disney

Disney's brand new "World of Color" is being hailed as a big step in the rejuvenation of Disney California Adventure park.

The after-dark show of water-based special effects debuted before an audience of celebrities and VIPs at California Adventure's Paradise Bay last week, and is now open to the public.

Inspired by the 1960s TV show, "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color," the spectacular was five years in the making. It uses music, animation, color, light, fire and water, lots of water, as in huge mountains of water on which animation is projected.

Variety calls it "certainly worth watching" and says the mix of effects is "stunning, even mesmerizing at times, as scenes from various Disney toons play out on walls of water rising and falling across the lagoon."

Mickey Mouse, of course, attended the premier, as did Disney's top brass.

Robert Iger, president and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, called the "World of Color" a "magical event that showcases beloved Disney characters in an entirely new way."

Thomas O. Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, said it marks a milestone in the expansion of Disney California Adventure Park and will "captivate our guests with an end-of-day experience that is exhilarating, emotional and highly memorable." Disney was "excited" about the debut, he added.

The 25-minute show is presented on a mega-scale. It uses powerful fountains that become stars of the show as they create giant projection screens -- imagine a wall of water 380 feet wide and 50 feet high, featuring Disney and Disney Pixar characters.

According to Variety, making appearances in the spectacular are characters from "Toy Story," and "The Princess and the Frog," "The Little Mermaid," "Finding Nemo," and more.

The complex production involves a superstructure of nearly an acre. There are nearly 1,200 fountains ranging in height from 30 feet to 200 feet. There are 30 high-definition projectors, 14 submersible. And then there are flame projections, lasers and other special effects.

Disney says the attraction began with a brainstorming session by the show's director and his creative team, and as the idea grew, Disney sought out new technologies and multimedia to support a basic concept that water can come to life, dance, change character and move the audience.

Get a behind-the-scenes look here:

The soundtrack was performed by nearly 100 musicians and the musical score combines familiar and new melodies including a newly arranged version of the TV theme music for "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color," which is by the same composers -- Richard B. and Robert M. Sherman -- as the music to "Mary Poppins" and "It's a Small World."

According to Variety, the scenes that play out the best on the wall of water are sequences from the water-based adventures "The Little Mermaid" and "Finding Nemo," while "Toy Story" uses lasers in what the magazine calls "a thrilling way" to show a battle between Buzz Lightyear and evil Emperor Zurg.

Variety reports the debut crowd erupted in cheers when they caught a brief projected glimpse of Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow as the theme from "Pirates of the Caribbean" was blasted.

Says Variety, "overall, the show is a breathtaking sight worth taking in."

The show is part of a reported $1 billion overhaul of the park.

gina uccelatore

now I have a good reason to go to california
living in Europe (not forever) last time I went to california was for disneyland's 40 years of adventure in 1995 and last time I went to the USA was for walt disney world's "one man's dream" exhibit and show
went to see the show every single day of my stay just for the "wonderful world of colours" song, it was so great to hear the song again (as I didn't have internet at the time)
when interviewed by dave barker for an audiocassette for the NFFC, I said that my favorite character (in addition to THE MOUSE of course) was tinker bell not just for the film "peter pan" (one of my all times favorites) but most of all for her career outside the film, she's a disney ambassador every bit as much as the mouse, and, I said, especially in "the wonderful world of colours" my best child memory
for me disneyland was strictly on TV in those few images introduced by tink to the sound of that wonderful song at the opening of each show
look how both of them, first tink and now wonderful world of color, are back in the highlights
and the rendition of FANTASIA brings tears to my eyes (a too often forgotten movie, I mean two)

June 22 2010 at 3:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JAX

FANTASTIC !! WE WANT IT HERE IN FLORIDA'S DISNEY WORLD !!

June 21 2010 at 5:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeanne Y

It must be like watching Fantasia on water! Too cool for words!
As far as the racial situation goes, for goodness sake, people! YOU are the ones that cause racism! Stop thinking about minorities and think of PEOPLE! Just because you are a different color doesn't mean that you should get upset about the seeming lack of your "race" being there! We are all the same "race" and we all run IN the same race, the HUMAN race!

June 21 2010 at 4:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ronnemamma

Give poor Hawk a break. I noticed that, too, but I know differently. Disney is very diverse although this short video didn't show that. Disneyland has always been a very happy place of diversity for me since I also started going when I was 2 or 3. Bless you. Don't let it take you to a bad place. We all have to stick together & not focus on color except for the show. Have fun! Hey George n Nancy, y u boycotting us wonderful people here in California?

June 21 2010 at 4:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dylan

Im an annual pass holded and I just saw it for the third time tonight in two weeks it is amazing. I have watched it from a different angle each time and the experience is different each time.

June 21 2010 at 4:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

Eversince California Adventure opened , i knew Disney would use their lagoon for a show like this,I can't wait to go to Disneyland again

June 21 2010 at 3:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
george & nancy

So sorry, we won't be able to see it as we are boycotting anything california (especially LA, Sandiego, and San Francisco).

June 21 2010 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pam

I GUESS YOU'RE SCREWED IF YOU'RE COLOR BLIND.. IM JUST SAYING,,,,

June 21 2010 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole

This show is awesome.We saw it on opening weekend.Had to wait in a long line to get in but it was worth the wait.And who ever commented on Mickey being black ,I LOVED IT.WHEN WILL PPL EVER GET THIS RACIAL THING STRAIGHT.GEEEEEEEEEEZ. And if you don't all believe we came from a bunch of monkeys you will realize that our creator made all thing's in different colors.Humans are humans and that is it.I saw many colors at Disney and have been going there for years.

June 21 2010 at 1:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hawk

To all those who responded earlier, I just wanted to point out that disney in California is located in an area where minorities could probably be utilized at their facility much more than they have been in the past. LOCAL TALENT

June 21 2010 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply