Bikini Ban on Streets of Barcelona

Posted May 24th 2010 12:11 PMUpdated May 24th 2010 12:38 PM

Barceloneta Beach; Terrazzo

It's not that they don't like bikinis in Barcelona. It's just that tourism officials don't think visitors should wear bathing suits on city streets – think of the potential traffic-stopping implications.

How much of a problem partially clad tourists wandering into the city's famous places like the Picasso museum is is unclear. But the seaside city's Tourism Board apparently plans to put up posters urging those using the beach to cover-up once they leave the sands.

According to reports, the posters show a man and woman in bathing suits with a red slash line across them – the universal symbol for stop – and a couple dressed normally with clothes (with no red line).

No fines are planned for violators. But there are reports the mayor is asking businesses, hotels and restaurants to help the city get the word out by putting up the posters, which will also go in public places including the subway and buses.

Calls to the tourism officials were not returned. But the online, English-language barcelonareporter.com says the issue comes down to etiquette, with officials concerned with "image" and "common courtesy towards Barcelona locals." Who wants to see someone in a swimsuit when you're in your business suit after all?

chantelmargo

Why are you people having an issue? Personally I don't want to see people half-naked everywhere I go. My cat had an appointment at the vet's the other day and a girl came in with a bathing suit on and her ass cheeks hanging out. Seriously, WTF! NOT appropriate.

May 25 2010 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rambo

Hey come to Florida on the beaches nude or not ..we like all moneys..okWhy go to Spain ..no work +Fun ?????

May 24 2010 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr.

And Barcelona probably had to start thinking of this law due to the "ugly American" that doesn't have enough sense to know right from wrong. Those that make their one and only trip abroad feeling they now "own" the foreign country's beaches and all other spots they decide to visit. Just plain stupidity and very little social abilities.

May 24 2010 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rachel

I live in barcelona- I love bikinis and there are many NAKED people on the beaches and streets. How about monitoring that first?

May 24 2010 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ray

i would rather see nude beaches every where

May 24 2010 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jtw

I usually wear a shirt and slacks when I leave the beach.It is hard to fit a wallet and keys in a swimsuit.I still feel the pressure of requiring people to dress is inappropriate.I will remove Barcelona and the rest of Spain from my travel itinerary.Good luck with your financial future when you alienate tourists,a main financial source of income.

May 24 2010 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pam Bealmear

If Im walking down the streets of the city I dont want to see some other chicks ass and tits hanging out in front of my boyfriend, if you want that ,, go to a strip bar,,,,,,also, I dont want my little ones to be asking why these people have no clothes on,,,damn

May 24 2010 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pam Bealmear

Hey Bear ,, hows your buff bod? hmmmmmmmso, you think overwt women have no right to enjoy the beach,,maybe, they should go hide,,,fools like u are what causing young girls to feel insecure about their natural curves,,,,ugh cant stand men like uuuuu

May 24 2010 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carol

No. It means that now we women will be seeing NUDE MEN. We'd like
to see what you really are hiding under that swimsuit. Is it real OR
just stuffing.
NO. IT MEANS THAT NOW WE WOMEN WILL WANT TO BE SEEING NUDE MEN> WE'd LIKE TO SEE WHAT YOU REALLY ARE HIDING UNDER THAT SWIMSUIT> IS IT REAL or Just STUFFING??

May 24 2010 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hols

Hey Bear, I bet you're a big fat dude...all you're gonna get is the hippo so get over your anger.

May 24 2010 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply