Mother Dressed as Princess Kicked Out of Disneyland Paris

by Libby Zay
Posted Apr 20th 2010 12:54 PMUpdated May 5th 2010 10:06 AM

Phil South, flickr

A mother wearing a princess dress at Disneyland Paris to celebrate her birthday was forced to change before entering the park.

Natasha Narula, 35, was pulled aside by a security guard while waiting in line to enter the theme park. She and her eight-year-old daughter, Drew, had thought it would be fun to dress up as princesses for the day.

Natasha was wearing an old wedding dress, birthday badge, and Mickey Mouse ears. Her daughter was decked out in a tiara and a white and gold bridesmaid dress she had kept from a family wedding.

While waiting in line, the pair was pulled aside by a security guard and Natasha was told she must change out of her dress. Natasha -- who had previously called to ask if she and her daughter could wear the dresses in the park -- were told Disney has a global policy that bans anyone over the age of nine from wearing fancy dresses in the park.

"I thought they were playing a joke on me because it was April Fool's Day" Narula told UK's Daily Mail.

"I didn't even have any make-up on and didn't look anything like the characters in the park, it wasn't like I was wearing a big Mickey Mouse outfit, it was just a dress."

Natasha and Drew were forced to go back to the hotel they were staying at where Natasha changed into the clothes she had been wearing the day before.

"It was so humiliating being pulled aside by the security team," Narula told the Telegraph. She said she was left completely embarrassed by the incident.

"It was unbelievable because I had already got permission from somebody on the phone, but the guards said the children would think that I worked for them. They told me I couldn't go in until I'd changed into more suitable clothing."

Narula, described the wedding dress she was wearing as "totally hideous." She said she had bought the "silly, puffed sleeved" dress for £20 (around $30).

"How on earth can they possibly say that I look too much like a princess?

"It was supposed to have been a fun day out for me and my daughter and we saw loads of children on the way and not one of them asked if I was one of the princesses from the park. In fact the only question that I got was whether I was married from a little girl who passed me by.

"I tried to tell the guards that every young girl knows what a Disney princess looks like, but it fell on deaf ears."

The Telegraph reported Disneyland confirmed the company has a global policy banning adults from wearing fancy dresses in their theme parks.

"No one over the age of nine is allowed to enter our theme parks in fancy dress. It prevents confusion," said a spokesman to the news outlet.

Natasha has written to Disneyland demanding an apology.

Sarah

It is global policy.
It's on the website.
She was told on the phone.
No costumes on guests over 9.
End of discussion.
No apology needed.

September 20 2010 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry

Some people here cannot read. The article clearly states the woman thought it was a joke when she was told park policy banned fancy dresses for those over 9 y/o. April Fools or not, no customer service rep. is going to play a joke on a customer, unless they want to be fired. The woman was plain stupid! no fault to Disney.

May 27 2010 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

Adrienne If your daughter at 10 still needs to be a princess then theres a bigger issue here.

May 26 2010 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ringo

I have worked at WDW florida for over 20 years. Yes, they have a ton of rules and regulations...for guests AND employees. They want each and every guest to have the perfect Disney experience. To achieve their extremely high standards, they NEED these rules & regulations in place. Even if we dont understand them, Disney DOES have a reason for them. This woman called and asked, and they told her that is was againsed the rules....that should have been the end of it, but she arrives in the dress anyway. This is Disney`s fault?

May 26 2010 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tia Serena

Really, dress code to protect the kids from pedophiles???
And who is stopping pedophiles who dress in jeans and t-shirts???
Do they really think anyone would mistake a dressed up 10 year old for a worker in the park???
Disney parks have a strict code of conduct, and its not recent. In 1983 a couple of Brazilian musicians, Baby Consuelo and Pepeu Gomez were barred from entering a park. They were dressed plain enough, but they had their hair painted in rainbow colors. They were told they were calling more attention than the attractions! They made a music about it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmB394dqT_o

May 26 2010 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
angela

bullshit. if it made them happy so be it. mind your damn business. especially the child. mommies and babies love to dress to match. i know

May 25 2010 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bonnie clabber

Natasha has written to Disneyland demanding an apology.

I can not stand people like her ...Disneyland should send her a letter to never come back how dare she bring bad press to a business it is there policy so do damn bad for her

May 23 2010 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bonnie clabber

its obvious from the negative post that you dont own your own business and never will policies are made for a reason if you dont like it then dont go

May 23 2010 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bonnie clabber

i was at disneyland and tried to buy all the balloons the person was selling in the big bunch so i could give it to the birthday girl they wouldnt let me buy them all? the girl went and asked her manager and they said the policy is that you cant buy them all at once ?

May 23 2010 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

It really depends on how it played out. If one employee told her one thing, and then another told her something completely different, then yeah, I think she at least deserves an apology. If it's a global policy, all the customer-contact employees should know it. If, on the other hand, the person on the phone told her no and she did it anyway... then nope... no apology for thinking that the rules don't apply to you.

Either way, Disney is ultimately allowed to enforce whatever dress code it wants. It's their park, their rules and there's plenty of parks that don't have a dress code if that rubs you the wrong way. That being said, I'm cynical enough to believe that some of this also comes down to Disney being willing to let you dress up as whatever you want as long as they make a buck off it. My family went down to Disney (FLA) recently and there were several adults in the "pirate parade" -- so apparently costumes are OK if they get their $30 a pop for it.

May 19 2010 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply